Details About Doula Services
Doulas are an ancient tradition with a new name.
Doula is a Greek word that has come to mean, “One who Mothers the Mother”
Benefits of a Certified Doula
- 50% reduction in the cesarean rate
- 25% decrease in length of labor
- 60% reduction in epidural requests
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use
- 30% reduction in analgesia use
- 40%reduction in forceps delivery
As Your Doula I Will ...
- Establish a warm and friendly relationship with you and your partner prior to your birth.
- Become familiar with your birth wishes to help you achieve the birth of your dreams.
- Be available for phone calls and to answer any questions you may have.
- Be a source of emotional, physical, and information support to both you and your partner at the onset and progression of labor.
- I am present not to take the place of the partner, but to reduce pressure, fear, worry, anxiety, and to enable the partner to interact more closely and lovingly to the birthing mother.
- As your doula, I am with you from the beginning of your labor until one to two hours after you birth your baby.
- I am there to help initiate breastfeeding within the first hour of birth and to review basic concepts that we learned in our breastfeeding class.
- Take beautiful pictures of you throughout your labor and birth and present them to you and your family at your postpartum visit.
- Visit with you one to two weeks postpartum to discuss your birth experience, access how you are feeling, how the baby is nursing, and to answer questions you may have about the baby or adjusting to your new life as a family.
“If a Doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.” — John H Kennell, MD